Dodgeball is a game which can be played almost anywhere. Due to the nature of weather in Ireland, indoor is the preferred option. Courts can easily be laid out in a hall, grasslands, beach or outdoor courts.
The dodgeball court dimensions are
- lenght is a minimum of 16 meters and a maximum of 17.6 meters.
- width 8 meters
The court also consist of a 0.6 meter deadzone where the balls are placedat the beginning of each game as well as a 1 meter ball return line
Three balls are placed within the "dead zone" at the beginning of each game.
A minimum of 6 and a maximum or 12 players per team
Players must be 16 years or over
Each team must wear the same colour shirts, (jerseys/t-shirts) with numbers on the back.
Players must be 16 years or over
If a player is eliminated. THEY DO NOT WAIT FOR THE REFEREE TO CALL THEM OUT, they must leave the court as we play with an honour system.
Honesty plays a huge part. Play fair be treated fair.
The object of the game is to eliminate the opposition team before they eliminate you.
1) Each game has six players. Twelve players are allowed to be registered per team.
2) Players must be 16 years or over
3) Each team must wear the same colour shirts, (jerseys/t-shirts) with numbers on the back.
4) Each game is three minutes long. If a team is not fully eliminated in the allocated time the team with the most players left on the court, win. If both teams have the same amount of players it is a draw.
5) The game starts with three balls placed in the “dead zone”.
6) All players must be in contact with the back line/wall at the beginning of each game. On the referees call/whistle three players will contest for the three balls in the dead zone.
7) No player can step into the dead zone during the game, if they do, they are called “out”.
8) Once a ball is retrieved it must be returned to the ball return line before an attack can be made. The game has now begun.
9) The team with the most amount of balls must throw (the majority of balls in their possession, if they have 3 balls they must throw at least 2. If they have 2 they must throw at least 1) within FIVE SECONDS. Failure to do so will result in the players with possession of the balls to be called “out” (Referees will call five seconds so players know they must throw).
10) If you are hit with a “live ball” you are out. Live ball, is where a ball is thrown and has not hit the wall, floor, roof or another player. If the ball hits you after hitting the floor, wall, roof or player then you are not out as this is a “dead ball”
11) If you catch an opponent’s ball, then the player who threw the ball is out and one of the eliminated players return to play. Note : the IBDA operate, first player out first player back in, i.e. if you are knocked out first then you will be the first player to return and it will continue in that order, second out is second back in etc...
12) Save Rule, If a live ball hits a player and a team mate catches the ball before it hits the wall/floor/another player then the player who was hit is saved and not eliminated from the game. Note: the thrower is NOT out and NO eliminated player returns to play. This must be a clean catch, if another player interferes with the ball, the save will NOT count e.g. the ball hits player 1, player 2 attempts to catch the ball as well as player 3, both player 2 and 3 have touched the ball therefore the save rule does not count, ONLY ONE PLAYER MAY TOUCH THE BALL TO MAKE A SAVE PLAY. If a player attempts a save and is unsuccessful in their attempt they are not out, it is only the first player hit who is out.
13) If you step on any of the court lines, then you are called “out”.
14) When players are eliminated, they must proceed to the player return area.
15) If a ball leaves the court, you must seek referees approval to leave the court to reclaim the ball, once you reclaim the ball you must return to the court at the back line/wall.
16) If a player is eliminated. THEY DO NOT WAIT FOR THE REFEREE TO CALL THEM OUT, they must leave the court as we play with an honour system.
17) The referee’s decision is final, due to the speed of the game not every decision can be seen. Honesty plays a huge part. Play fair be treated fair.